Regional Specialty Manager
This position represents a unique opportunity for a Regional Specialty Manager (RSM) to play a key role in the development of the Neurocrine commercial organization and the launch of a new product where there is an unmet medical need. Reporting to the Regional Sales Director, the RSM will be responsible for the build-out and leadership of a field sales team in the successful promotional launch of a first in class oral treatment for tardive dyskinesia. This will be accomplished by successfully recruiting, hiring and leading a diverse, high-performing sales team to meet and exceed sales goals within an assigned geographic area. Initially these territories will be based in or around the following cities, areas and states: New York City, Chicago, Florida, Southern California, and Texas.
Key attributes necessary for success will be the ability to identify and hire an exceptional sales team, possess a strategic perspective as well as inspire and motivate a high performing, results oriented team. This role also requires identifying the needs of a new sales team, project management and working collaboratively with commercial cross-functional teams.
RSM’s will need to provide clear direction and coaching, work collaboratively in the field with the sales team to assist in identifying needs and opportunities and as needed execute successful sales meetings. In addition, the RSM will establish high work standards and assure that the team works in accordance with all company policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to):
Play a key role in identifying, recruiting, coaching and retaining top talent for the Neurocrine sales organization.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to 8-11 field sales team members. The RSM will be accountable for district performance objectives including sales results, field day requirements, effective coaching, mentoring, goal achievement and utilization of resources.
- Plan, direct, implement, and oversee policies and activities for a specific geographical area.
- Execute sales force strategies and marketing plans effectively to meet or exceed sales objectives.
- Create and implement successful strategies to further penetrate and segment the psychiatric and movement disorder marketplace, consisting mainly of Psychiatrists, Neurologists and Community Mental Health Clinics.
- Ensure cross-functional alignment of key strategies and tactics, and ensure effective communication and implementation at the territory level.
- Foster innovation in sales approaches and practices and ensure effective cross-functional leadership and collaboration with marketing and human resources.
- Identify district-level specific opportunities and barriers to ensure company success.
- Review and analyze key reports to ensure quarterly and annual objectives are met.
- Manage district-level expenses.
- Provide assistance with training and on-boarding as needed.
- Ensure knowledge of, reinforcement and compliance with Neurocrine policies and reinforce Neurocrine competencies and values.
- Demonstrate the appropriate coaching and counseling to prepare individuals for future development.
- Develop local Opinion Leader relationships to achieve aligned objectives.
- Maintain a fiscal perspective by making judicious use of both corporate, sales support and third-party resources while staying within budget parameters.
- Provide consistent feedback to HQ and Sales Management on customer feedback, operational and marketplace issues.
- Perform all responsibilities following the highest ethical standards, including FDA guidelines and best practices for the pharmaceutical industry, and exercise sound judgment and ensure integrity and compliance with company policies in all activities and communications.
- Proven launch experience leading others in highly complicated and competitive environments
- Experience coaching CNS sales teams, in-particular psychiatry or antipsychotic experience is strongly preferred
- Entrepreneurial attitude and/or experience in a start-up environment
- Relevant therapeutic area expertise is a plus
- Strong analytical and strategic experience required
- Experience with business systems, salesforce automation platforms, and other business intelligence tools (e.g., Salesforce.com, Oracle database, SAP, Business Objects, COGNOS, QlikView, Veeva etc.)
- Project management and presentation skills
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA) required, Advanced Business Degree a plus
- 3+ years of first-line sales management experience typically acquired through progressively responsible sales roles. Demonstrated track record of successfully building sales teams along with coaching and developing sales professionals
- 7 + years of sales experience in biotech/pharmaceuticals industry
- Proven sales performance as evidenced by % to quota, ranking reports, and recognition awards in specialty pharmaceutical or biotech markets
- Strong understanding of healthcare regulatory and enforcement environments
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- High ethical standards
- Valid driver’s license and in good standing, and acceptable driving record
- Ability to travel up to 60% on a regular basis