Vice President, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications
Reporting to the President & Chief Operating Officer, the Vice President of Investor Relations and Corporate Communications holds enterprise-level responsibility for strategic and tactical leadership of company communications. This broad role’s ultimate mandate is to ensure consistent messaging across all platforms to all stakeholders, both internal and external. The role has two core components: first, building and managing relationships with the investment community, including investors, sell-side analysts and other investment community stakeholders and influencers. Second, this role leads and is responsible for all corporate communications, including corporate visibility, media relations and public relations, alignment with corporate strategy, company branding, internal communications, and public affairs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to):
- Provides strategic direction on all matters affecting company visibility and reputation as well as related tactical support as needed.
- Serves as the key leader for investor relations and corporate communications for the Company, working with the executive team, the Company’s Board of Directors as well as a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Serves as key spokesperson for the Company. Epitomizes and reinforces Company culture.
- Builds a standard setting and industry leading Investor Relations & Corporate Communications function.
- Enhances and evolves the Company’s Investor Relations into a leading function in terms of strategy, execution and effectiveness.
- Engages investors and sell-side analysts to build a trust based relationship maintained by regular and ongoing dialogue as measured by investor feedback and uptake of the Company’s story.
- Helps establish an optimal mix and type of shareholders, and develops a variety of targeting initiatives to support that strategy.
- Plans and manages investor events, investor meetings, scientific conferences, medical symposia, roadshows and conference calls; negotiates schedule placement, provides on-the-ground support at events, etc.
- Develops and manages the corporate communications strategy. Develops and executes on a plan to build visibility for and awareness of the company with key stakeholders including employees, collaborators, patient advocacy groups, etc.
- Collaborates and coordinates with other functional areas (i.e., Marketing, Medical Affairs, Commercial Operations, Human Resources) to develop messaging that authentically promotes the Company and a process that to evolve the communication strategy with changes to the business.
- Sets and drives press strategy. Develops relationships with key industry publications to enable routine ongoing information sharing to raise over time the profile of the company to an appropriate level.
- Prepares / oversees documents such as press releases, external Company presentations and annual/quarterly reports.
- Analyzes internal and external assumptions and surveys to provide aggregated view of expectations and implications for perceptions of the Company.
- Assesses Company, peer group, and industry factors to develop materials for quarterly reporting and special announcements, including key messages, conference call scripts, Q&As, press releases and briefing information.
- Monitors news sources for competitive information and investment personal changes and identify key IR opportunities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 15 years’ experience with at least 7 years of Investor Relations and/or Corporate Communications at a public commercial stage biotechnology/specialty pharma company or in the investment community.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in life sciences or business combined with journalism, communications, or public relations is preferable, ideally with clinical education.
- Must have deep expertise and a proven history of repeated successes in Investor Relations and/or Corporate Communications, ideally both. Similarly, must have strong, long-term relationships with investors and/or journalists, ideally both.
- Must have experience building teams and proven leadership in multi-faceted organizations.
- Understanding of the capital markets, and rules and regulations of publicly traded companies highly desirable.
- Scientific or technical experience is highly desirable, as is understanding and communicating the Company’s science.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skill set and a solid knowledge of corporate financial statements.
- Experience writing investor presentations, scripts and press releases and aptitude for working with the investment community.
- Experience in preparing annual reports, targeting new investors and speaking directly with the financial community is preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical and financial modeling capabilities including a command of key intellectual property terms and considerations.
- Must demonstrate an ability to take a collaborative approach with multiple constituencies.
- Able to implement that strategy across multiple platforms, (social media, print, web, etc.)