Associate Director, Patient Engagement & Advocacy
This position will serve as the primary Company liaison to the patient/caregiver community, set strategy for national and regional advocacy relationships, as well as provide updates, background and perspectives to internal functional groups. This position will play an integral role in cultivating partnerships with patient advocacy organizations, creating education and awareness programs, and building sustainable relationships between the Company and patient/caregiver advocacy communities in key disease states. This position may be based in the Company’s San Diego home office or in a mutually agreed upon location on the East coast.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to):
- Develop advocacy strategy as the primary lead between the Company and advocacy organizations;
- Establish and maintain key relationships with advocacy organizations to drive initiatives for collaboration, education and support. Share information on Company activities and interests with advocacy organizations as appropriate;
- Develop and lead creative programs in collaboration with key internal commercial teams (market access, marketing, HEOR, medical affairs, public policy and corporate communications) and external stakeholders to establish cross-functional national and regional strategy for comprehensive, holistic advocacy programs; as the primary advocacy contact will identify, prioritize, and execute engagement plans for patient/caregiver advocacy organizations;
- Proactively collaborate internally with patient marketing, corporate communications and medical teams on development and delivery of patient-directed communications;
- Identify key strategic Company representation and advocacy activities at patient and healthy policy conferences, meetings and briefings related to patient engagement; lead the planning, execution and logistics efforts for these activities;
- Monitor competitive landscape for corporate activities in key disease states;
- Lead the planning and implementation of internal patient-related events to enhance patient-centric culture within the Company; and
- Provide the link between advocacy organizations with other key stakeholders (i.e., payers, professional medical societies, etc.) as needed.
- Demonstrated experience leading, developing and implementing company strategy with advocacy groups and outcomes.
- Exceptional organization skills and passionate commitment with demonstrated ability for leading complex initiatives in multiple disease states and programs.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and build mutually beneficial working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work both collaboratively with cross functional partners and independently to achieve shared goals.
- Strong track record of success in program development and execution within timelines and budgets.
- Up to 35% travel required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in patient engagement, advocacy, and/or relations including experience in developing communications and educational resources.
- Minimum of 7 years in pharma or biotech industry with experience in marketing, market access, advocacy relations, government policy or similar. A strong understanding of FDA regulations that impact advocacy and communications is required.
- Knowledge of patient advocacy community in key disease state areas (e.g., mental health, movement disorders, rare diseases) highly desired.
- Ability to lead a small team, lead cross-functional teams and influence decision-makers.