Director (Head of), Investor Relations
Reporting to the President & Chief Operating Officer, the (Sr/Exec) Director of Investor Relations holds enterprise-level responsibility for strategic and tactical leadership of the Company’s investor relations function and plays an important role in developing the Company’s communication strategy. This role’s ultimate mandate is to ensure consistent messaging across all investor relations platforms including building and managing relationships with the investment community such as investors, sell-side analysts and other investment community stakeholders and influencers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to):
- Provides strategic direction on all matters affecting company visibility and reputation as well as related tactical support as needed in the investor community.
- Serves as the key spokesperson and leader for investor relations for the Company, working with the executive team, the Company’s Board of Directors as well as a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. Epitomizes and reinforces Company culture.
- Builds a standard setting and industry leading Investor Relations function.
- Engages investors and sell-side analysts to build a trust-based relationship maintained by regular and ongoing dialogue as measured by investor feedback and uptake of the Company’s story.
- Helps establish an optimal mix and type of shareholders, and develops a variety of targeting initiatives to support that strategy. Sets and drives financial/business-related press strategy; Prepares/oversees documents such as financial press releases, Company presentations and annual/quarterly reports.
- Plans and manages investor events, meetings, conferences, roadshows and conference calls; when needed, negotiates schedule placement, provides on-the-ground support at such events.
- Collaborates with other functional areas (i.e., Finance, Corporate Communications, Commercial, etc.) to develop messaging that authentically promotes the Company and its outlook in a consistent and coordinated manner.
- Analyzes internal/external assumptions and surveys to provide aggregated view of expectations and implications for financial/business perceptions of the Company.
- Assesses Company, peer group, and industry factors to develop materials for quarterly reporting and special announcements, including key messages, conference call scripts, Q&As, press releases and briefing information.
- Monitors news sources and to identify key IR/communication opportunities and needs.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience with at least 5 years of Investor Relations at a public commercial stage biotechnology/specialty pharma company or in the investment community.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in life sciences or business combined with journalism, communications, or public relations is preferable, ideally with clinical education.
- Must have deep expertise and a proven history of repeated successes in Investor Relations. Similarly, must have strong, long-term relationships with investors.
- Understanding of the capital markets, and rules and regulations of publicly traded companies highly desirable.
- Scientific or technical experience is highly desirable, as is understanding and communicating the Company’s science.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skill set and a solid knowledge of corporate financial statements.
- Experience writing investor presentations, scripts and press releases and aptitude for working with the investment community.
- Experience in preparing annual reports, targeting new investors and speaking directly with the financial community is preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical and financial modeling capabilities including a command of key intellectual property terms and considerations.
- Must demonstrate an ability to take a collaborative approach with multiple constituencies.