Director, Head of Medical Science Liaisons
The Director, Head of Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) will report directly to the Head of Medical Affairs and be an integral member of the Medical Affairs senior leadership team. The Head of MSLs is responsible for leading a team of accomplished field-based Medical experts in effectively communicating Neurocrine science with and gaining relevant clinical insights from Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) in the Central Nervous System (CNS) field. The Head of MSLs will partner and interface with cross-functional leads to best understand the therapeutic and scientific landscapes of the therapeutic areas to strategically direct the MSL activities. This is a position based in the San Diego home office, with considerable travel requirements in managing a team across the US.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the primary leadership conduit between the MSL team and Clinical Development department to ensure team has most current and relevant information to facilitate peer-to-peer KOL interactions;
- Develop and execute the strategic plan for supporting Neurocrine data generation efforts including corporate Clinical Development programs, Phase IV HEOR activities, and investigator initiated studies;
- Recruit, hire, develop, and retain high performing field MSL teams;
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop the MSL plan of action for KOL engagement;
- Ensure payer engagement to lead Neurocrine’s medical market access strategy and medical engagement of Payers, providing field clinical insights that contribute / shape product strategies, engaging professional societies and patient advocacy groups;
- Establish performance standards including MSL qualitative and quantitative metrics for activities across the clinical development and product commercialization continuums; and
- Observe, coach, and mentor direct reports and identify training requirements necessary to maintain the highest levels of professional and technical acumen.
- Pharm.D., Ph.D., MD, or the equivalent is required. A minimum of seven years’ experience in CNS/psychiatry/neurology, with five years’ experience in a management role leading MSLs.
- Experience in successfully working with corporate office cross functional teams to contribute to product strategy.
- Technical knowledge in CNS, neurology and/or psychiatry diseases and pharmaceuticals with mood disorders/schizophrenia experience preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining a high performing field medical team and establishing high performance standards that include qualitative and quantitative metrics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of healthcare compliance requirements and regulatory trends that directly and indirectly impact field MSLs.
- Effective cross-functional collaboration, teamwork, and communication.
- Proficiency in developing and managing MSL budgets.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Approximately 60% travel is required.