Head of Sales Operations
This position will lead the team responsible for sales operations functions in support of the Company’s sales force and national accounts staff, and certain functions for the Medical Scientific Liaison (MSL) team. The individual will ensure processes, systems and tools are in place to support sales productivity and effectiveness, targeting/alignment, sales force automation/customer relationship management (SFA/CRM), sample management, incentive compensation (IC), field reporting, etc. The individual will partner with the head of Field Sales, Director of National Accounts, Director of MSLs, and head of IT on all key capabilities required to achieve yearly field objectives. Additionally, the individual serves as a strategist for field leadership related to current product performance, customers and competitors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to)
- Facilitates the design and ongoing administration of IC strategies/plans/policies and rewards programs for the Company’s sales forces in partnership with a cross functional IC steering committee and working team. Ensures IC plans motivate field personnel, support the commercial objectives for the brand, and adhere to Compliance policies.
- Acts as business owner for all commercial systems, including Master Data Management, CRM, field reporting, etc. Drives forward implementation/upgrades to all systems as needed. Works closely with IT to translate business needs into requirements.
- Implements customer targeting and reporting tools to support on-going sales promotion. Provides strategic input to help shape the customer call plan and yearly sales plan of action.
- Assists management in evaluating sales productivity against key performance indicators.
- Implements sales force deployment strategies in collaboration with the Head of Sales and commercial leadership to ensure promotional objectives are achieved.
Ensures sampling policies and practices comply with FDA/PDMA requirements. Serves as business owner for sample management processes/systems that ensure compliance, including signature capture requirements, sample inventory, tracking, and destruction as needed.
- Manages the creation and delivery of sales operations-related on-boarding training for all new field and managed markets staff to ensure effective understanding, use and compliance with key field processes and systems (e.g., CRM, sample management, etc.).
- Maintains the Company’s vehicle management policy/program, serves as vendor manager, and ensures the program’s cost effective implementation.
- Hires, coaches/develops, and manages the Sales Operations team.
- Serves as a consultative advisor to the Head of Sales, Director of National Accounts, Director of MSLs, and other field leadership
- Ensures all aspects of assigned areas are conducted in a compliant fashion and are aligned to the needs of the sales organization and overall corporate direction/strategy/goals.
- Builds, manages and maintains relationships with vendors of systems, sales analytics, software, and consulting services.
- Strategic understanding of pharmaceutical sales and marketing with the ability to identify product sales drivers, trends, issues, etc. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a solid process orientation.
- Strong knowledge of and experience working with biopharmaceutical market data (meaning of data, limitations of data, ability to manipulate, etc.) including IMS and SHS data. Solid knowledge of biopharmaceutical commercial systems.
- Exceptional ability to hire, motivate and retain staff. Able to support and guide the team in their day-to-day work. Able to develop staff by providing the right coaching, planning and training.
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and effectively cross functionally and with all business partners.
- Applies basic consulting skills, including consultative listening, problem definition, hypothesis generation, data analysis, and translation of solutions to business value. Ability to convert sales force analytics and conclusions into easily understandable and persuasive oral and written presentations. Demonstrated experience in statistical analyses of quantitative data.
- Ability to source and work closely with vendors of biopharma commercial systems and sales force operations capabilities. Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously. Strong budget management skills.
- Outstanding organizational and computer skills (including Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, Word).
- Able to flourish in a small, nimble, often ambiguous entrepreneurial company environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 10 years relevant sales operations experience within the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry.
- Strong knowledge of sales incentive compensation concepts, sales data tracking systems, and life science CRM systems required.
- Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Prior demonstrated team leadership experience.
- Experience within the CNS therapeutic area, with specialty care drugs, and product launch experience is highly preferred.