Patient Access Liaison
SUMMARY: The role of the Patient Access Liaison (PAL) is to maximize patient access to Company products, and accelerate time to treatment. The PAL will provide support & educate healthcare providers on Company patient support programs, specialty pharmacy distribution, local pharmacy options and financial assistance offerings. The PAL will be the subject matter expert on local payer coverage policies & processes. The PAL will work cross-functionally and collaboratively with field sales, distribution partners, Market Access, and commercial operations. In addition, the PAL will support access to Company products through the development of relationships with local advocates and key accounts (IDNs & Health Systems). These roles will be geographically dispersed across the US.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to):
- Builds and sustains long-term customer partnerships with assigned Key Accounts, based on deep understanding of the customer organization, structure, business strategy and priorities.
- Leads cross functional account based teams. Partners with field sales, medical affairs and home office colleagues to secure access and drive effective pull-through with targeted Payers.
- Trains on prescription process, distribution model and support program services for both internal and external customers.
- Introduces technology options for electronic Patient Access (PA) submission, explain payer criteria, forms, processes, PA, Letter of Medical Necessity, appeals, step edits, formulary exception requests. Calls out action items for Healthcare Provider (HCP) staff. Problem solves and conducts case resolution.
- Directs communication with pharmacy & HUB partners. Communicate case status information to field sales. Coordinates with sales to identify HCP needs & opportunities.
- Participates in Region sales calls/meetings, directs ongoing communication with sales and conducts Joint Account/HCP calls with sales.
- Acts as the local payer coverage expert for KOL/Supporter identification and development.
- Communicates payer issues with National Account Executive (NAE) team and conducts joint calls as needed.
- Interfaces with local closed-door pharmacies. Supports/leads sales training efforts related to Rx process.
- Communicates regularly to senior commercial management the opportunities, challenges and performance of accounts.
- Provides expert insight into the local healthcare systems and their impact on Key Accounts; identifies new business opportunities with current or potential accounts.
- Present Payer outlook at internal business reviews and national/regional sales meetings. Provide leadership in development of brand strategies.
- Works within Ethics and Compliance policies and ensures those around him/her do the same.
- Works to ensure a diverse and inclusive environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field; MBA is preferred.
- 7 years’ pharma/biotech commercial experience.
- 3 years’ experience with specialty pharmacy/market access.
- Strong understanding of specialty pharmacies, managed care, pharmacy benefit managers and government payers and their impact on product access.
- Excellent working knowledge of patient support programs, including reimbursement support, financial assistance adherence programs, etc.
- Strong understanding of prescription adjudication process.
- Ability to communicate payer coverage criteria and prior authorization processes.
- Previous experience in other functions in pharma/biotech desired.
- Ability to travel overnight up to 60% (travel consists of working with field sales, attending business meeting, industry meetings, and working with key customers).
- Strong project management, analytical thinking skills, and problem-solving skills.
- Proven leadership skills with strong business acumen.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cross functional team success.
- Possess good understanding of current issues within the marketplace, pharmaceutical industry, and national health care system.
- Ability to work in a cross functional environment and handle multiple tasks.
- Specialty product experience, where CNS preferred.
- Strong understanding of specialty pharmacies, managed care, pharmacy benefit managers and government payers, and their impact on product access.
- Excellent working knowledge of patient support programs, including reimbursement support, financial assistance, adherence programs, etc.