This position works with general guidance as they assume responsibility for a definable portion of a project or process. Shows directed creativity and initiative to lead efforts to prevent and solve problems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to):
- Obtain materials, scientific equipment, services, chemicals, lab and office/business supplies from suppliers at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, service, delivery timelines, and company policy and procedure.
- Works on complex problems or projects in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining solutions.
- Establishes, coordinates, and administers long-term purchase agreements for assigned commodities.
- Receives, reviews and processes requisitions for completeness and necessary information.
- Selects reliable sources/vendors, requests bids when necessary, evaluates quotations, and makes final supplier selection.
- Drafts purchase orders for capital equipment and long-term agreements in a manner that ensure all requirements, special terms and conditions are met.
- Investigates and develops new supply sources where current vendors and suppliers are inadequate.
- May determine methods, processes and procedures on new assignments and may provide guidance to other lower-level personnel.
- Ensures compliance with internal and external agreements, policies, procedures and regulations. Works closely with Legal, Finance, Receiving, Facilities, EH&S and end users, to efficiently initiate contracts and purchase tangible goods and services. Resolves invoicing issues and take corrective action to prevent recurrence.
- Performs spend analysis, generates Purchasing metrics (KPI’s) reports and graphs.
- Prepares monthly Credit Card expense reports for items/services purchased on behalf of end users.
- Creates/maintains accurate Purchasing documentation (Procedures, Forms, etc.) to reflect current business and system processes and ensure all processes are documented
- Monitors Open PO report, perform follow-up to address past due purchase orders, update delivery dates, ensure on-time delivery and data integrity in ERP system.
- Investigates, recommends, supports implementation of appropriate advanced materials strategies/initiatives such Vendor Managed Inventory, EDI, Kanban, point of use, etc.
- Performs testing to support new ERP enhancements, business process improvements, functionality, upgrades, reports, metrics, etc.
- Creates training materials, perform and document end user training.
- Provides backup coverage for other purchasing staff. Performs other tasks as needed/assigned.
- Computer literate and proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and strong Excel skills (pivot tables, graphs, v-lookups, etc.).
- Familiar with standard Purchasing procedures and industry best practices.
- Excellent communication (verbal, written) and negotiation skills.
- Customer service oriented with analytical problem-solving skills.
- Detail oriented, ability to multi-task, work at a fast pace with a high degree of accuracy required.
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and able to develop new or enhance existing business or systems processes.
- Maintain positive attitude and working relationships with staff at all levels.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and overtime required.
- Ability to complete routine work with limited or no instructions, and new assignments with general instructions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a Bachelors’ degree or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of 5 years’ related experience in purchasing is required.
- Prior experience in life science, biotechnology or pharmaceutical environment is preferred.
- Prior experience procuring lab supplies, lab and manufacturing equipment and chemicals is preferred.
- Prior experience working with ERP system required. ReQlogic or GreatPlains is a plus.
- Experience working with various types contracts is required.
- Experience working in a regulated environment (ISO, GMP, Sarbanes-Oxley) is preferred.
- Understanding and application of Six Sigma concepts is a plus.